The Senior Memorial Chime was installed in the Library Hall (now Altgeld Hall) tower in 1920. The chime was a gift of the classes of 1914-1921. The small room at the base of the tower was converted into the chime playing room, housing the playing and practice consoles, still in use today. In 1921 the automatic chime mechanism, controlled by a Seth Thomas clock, a gift of the Class of 1922, was installed in a small room on the roof of the playing room. The chimes were dedicated on homecoming weekend October 30, 1920.
Submitted by timekeep on Mon, 2015-08-31 01:32
Oct 30, 1920